Thursday, July 22, 2010

China Round 2

So after going 5 days with China in Beijing, we went to Shanghai to live with my aunt and potentially check out the Shanghai Expo. We went to the ghetto Shen Zhen and caught a flight to Shanghai.

First day, we went the Expo. It was raining that day so I was hoping that the amount of people at the Expo was going to be lower. BOY was I wrong. I suppose people came from all over China to check out the Expo - foreigners were very few and far between there. Another thing that I noticed was the difference in culture between people in Hong Kong and people in China. People in China don't seen to understand the concept of personal space as well as as queuing up for a line. Lining up for exhibits and the boat across really was a test of patience. We ended up looking at the North Korean and the United Emerites exhibit and some of the theme exhibits. Of course, the China Pavililion would take 6 to 8 hour wait, but I took a picture in front of it just to show that I was there.


However, after one day, I had enough of the pushing and shoving and the dirty bathrooms of the Expo. The second day, we went to check out some of the tourist attractions like the Yu Gardens, and some other tourist destinations. However, it was just as packed with people and I was starting to feel slightly irritated with the density of people. But, Shanghai is still fun - just go at a time when half of China isn't there. One thing that made it all worthwhile is the Xiao Long Bao! Mmmmm.....


Also the massages there were pretty good and cheap (no happy endings) =P

No comments:

Post a Comment